Audi marketing people really go out to get consumer this time. My sister bought a “budget” $45k sticker price 2016 Audi Q5 premium plus WITHOUT a simple safety feature as back up camera which should be standard on all SUVs. She has to buy a package that includes Navigation to get this back up camera for $4000 which she refused because she didn’t need the Navigation, her iPhone 6 would be efficient. Anyhow, I ordered a back up camera package from China for $250 shipped in 2 days. It’s not hard to install, just tedious work. It took us a long time to do because there’s no clear information on the web to show how to remove stuff from the car. I documented everything we did and here the process.
1. To drop the glove box, there are 7 screws inside the box, 2 under the box and one on the right side by the fuse box and they’re all 8MM heads.
2. The handle in the rear lid has 2 lock tabs, one on each side, must be pressed in for the handle to come out, we didn’t know, we pried it from the front and broke the tabs which we don’t really care.
3. The latch cover on the rear lid doesn’t have to come out like the A8.
4. If you get the same unit as mine (which all other ones should come from the same manufacturer), you need to add the yellow wire to the top empty slot right above the RED wire slot for the display to work. The Yellow, Red and the fuse wired must be tied together for the system to work.
The best is to watch this 33 minutes video from the beginning to end.
Use $53 Wifi Mirror Link Box for displaying Navigation for the Front Camera Input.
- Install Apple CarPlay/Android Auto To MMI 3G Plus
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto for Audi MMI 2G
- G12 & G13 Coolant for Audi Cars