All A8 4.2L engine have plastic pipe for their oil coolers, and these plastic pipe get brittle and break over time, especially if the engine is running hot or over heat too many times. I’d replaced both 4.2L 32V and 4.2L 40V on the D2, but not on the D3, it’s a little harder to remove due to different layout of coolant pipes. The dealer would charge $2000-3000 for the job replacing this $25 plastic pipe. If the car get to 100k miles and it’s time to replace timing belt, if it’s feasible, replace this pipe at the same time, it may be a little easier, but not much.
Here are 2 success stories on replacing oil cooler pipe on 4.2L D3
Some people like to replace their plastic pipes with aluminum ones, I don’t think it’s a good idea, yes, the pipe will not break, but the rubber o rings may get brittle faster due to aluminum pipe heat.
- What you should/must know about Audi Electrical System
- Replace Windshield Wipers on A8 D3 2006
- Left Air Suspension Failed At 131k Miles
- Automatic Head Lights and Rain Sensor Failed
- Power Steering Noise_Needed Oil
- Our A8L D3 On Highway 1
- Fix Water From Entering The Trunk Lid/Trunk
- Clear and Improve Sunroof Drains A8 D3