For Audi MMI 2G that don’t have FBAS (RVC) installed, you need to add the circuit or change the MMI head unit from 4E0 035 729 to 4E0 035 729 A for the TV tuner to work. 2007+ A8s and Q7 have back up camera built in therefore it’s plug and play. To upgrade 4E0 035 729 A you also need the CAN Gateway that supports RVC: 4LO 907 468 B or 4EO 907 468 G or H, older ones don’t support.
If we have an Audi with MMI 2G, FBAS RVC installed and we don’t have AMI unit built in and don’t want to spend $500+ to get one, the alternative is to get an old Analog TV Tuner 4E0 919 146 to install. If we want to watch movies, we can use Raspberry Pi or TV with digital TV tuner. The important wires are the 20PIN connectors. Follow the diagram to create your own cables. Pin 4,5,6,7,14,15,19,20 are not used. Make sure Pin 3 is connected to the sense line of the power connector – Wire color WHITE/YELLOW.
Analog TV tuner is not available in the US, but we can get them used and very inexpensive on Ebay from Europe. The part number is 4E0 919 146. What can we do with this Analog TV tuner?
- If you want to stream music through an inexpensive bluetooth dongle ($6).
- If you want to mirror your smartphones to the MMI screen (you need FBAS connector for this if your car is 2006 or older)
- If you want to watch TV OTA while waiting in the car.
- All Analog TV tuner has 2 AV inputs, you can connect 2 AV systems to it and it work effortlessly through the MMI system.
- Should I upgrade from A8L D3 to A8L D4?
- 2006 A8L Is Still Smooth and Comfortable At 128k Miles
- Our Old Faithful 2008 Q7
- Carista OBD2 Bluetooth and Software
- How To Fix A8 D3 Broken Glove Box Frame
- Attempt To Fix A8 D3 Door Lock Switch On Handle
- Hot Air Comes Out of Left Vents With AC On
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto for Audi MMI 2G